Thursday, January 03, 2008

Rail Services - Who still thinks privatisation was such a great idea?

Having just read Lib Dem PCU table of fare rises I note that Bedford remains one of the most expensive places to commute from at 35p per mile. Basildon is the cheapest at 19p per mile. Is it time to move to Basildon I wonder? Alternatively I could move over to Sandy (where I spent many happy years working) where the cost is just 24p per mile. Just a thought. I don't bother buying a season ticket as I am not in work all the time, but I am guessing my weekly fare tomorrow will be over £100. So much for encouraging the use of public transport. Hate to start on an economic liberal v social liberal debate so early in the year, but it seems to me totally absurd that we have created a false market which costs us as consumers more, pours millions into the coffers of the likes of Richard Branson, offers us little or no choice and certainly no voice in influencing services. A bit like the nonsense of the idea of choice in education, choice in public transport appears to owe more to your ability to choose where you live.

Rant over. But this is something I hope we will have the courage to tackle with our transport policy, go Norman Baker!

2 comments:

Tristan said...

*sighs*

Privatisation per se isn't bad. It was done very badly in this case however, but its not really privatisation is it? Its handing some of the running to the private sector - its corporatism.

That's had benefits - like new rolling stock (remember the old slam door trains? Years out of date, uncomfortable etc). More investment in services, more people using the trains (although that means more crowded trains...)

The unfortunate fact is that train fares are probably too low for the service they give in the manner they give it. We all pay taxes to subsidise those fares (taxes which disproportionately hit the poor too). If they weren't subsidised the fares would be even higher. As liberals we surely don't believe in subsidising private companies like this...

I saw a post somewhere on the LibDem blogs today which talked about not being able to use an old rail tunnel for train services, despite the operators wishing to - why? The Government said no - that's not privatisation, its corporatism - government control of private business...

We should find some way to privatise the railways properly - and not just auctioning off rights to the highest bidder to bolster the state's coffers. Then let the railways compete with other forms of transport, and each other. Let them open new lines or stations.

If a line is deemed to need subsidy to keep it open, then why not subsidy from local government? As we keep on pointing out, they have a better grip on what's needed locally...

Of course, these aren't policy proposals, but I think they're worth looking at.
I remember the trains before privatisation, that was no halcyon day of good service. It was poor service, with old rolling stock. The only good thing was British Rail Toasted Cheese Sandwiches...

Linda Jack said...

Ah Tristan, back to the good old days of us not agreeing with each other!

So "remember the old slam door trains" er........yes..........I still get on them! Actually I once had a terrible accident because of one. I had jumped on a train at Reading and realised I had left my case on the other one. Frantic I tried to get off, pushed the window down to open the door and it sprang back, thumping me in the nose. As I ran back to my former train, blood pouring down my nose, coat and shoes various officials chased after me. Once I had rescued my case and returned, the train was held up for 15 minutes while the saw to my injury. I was very impressed!

So, of course, privatisation per se is not a bad thing, I am not a Luddite in these things, but the truth is privatisation only makes sense when there is a real saving to the tax payer and there is real choice for the consumer. Neither of these things apply in this case.