Sunday, February 04, 2007

Diversity in the Party? I wish........

I am just back from an excellent media training event in Cambridge run by Vanessa McPake. It was informative, challenging and great fun, however, I couldn't help noticing that I was the only woman. So, here we are again; an event for PPC's dominated by white men. Actually this is not a criticism of the men who attended, rather an observation about an issue we really have to tackle. As a woman I like to blame the men, but I know we women have to take some of the responsibility too. At Autumn conference I was appalled that I was the first woman speaker after 14 men on the Meeting the Challenge debate. Now, maybe we will never achieve true proportionality in the party for a variety of reasons, but the current situation is totally indefensible.

No comments: