Thursday, February 08, 2007

My Night with IDS

About three or so years ago, when Politicos bookshop was closing down, I laid claim to their life size cardboard cut out of Ian Duncan Smith. I secured the deal, despite alleged fierce opposition. I took the said IDS on the Jubilee line to Canary Wharf to meet my journalist pal Mick Smith, who I had wound up telling him I had a very interesting contact for him to meet. IDS and I then traversed the DLR, Northern Line and Midland Mainline to Bedford, where he was presented with a Lib Dem rosette or two. Last night, at the Fairbridge Film Awards I met the man himself. Not in the least a cardboard cut out! I confessed what I had done with the Lib Dem rosette and he (such a tease) confessed that he could be persuaded! I have to say I was quite smitten......he has taken his anti poverty work very seriously and I hope it will make a real difference in his party. I may be far from a Tory, but we have to face facts and if we do end up with Cameronville in a couple of years time I hope some of the work IDS has done will have even a cursory influence on his party's policies........or maybe I'm having a senior moment?!

No comments: